One day tent sale

Have some lightweight gear to be rid of for one reason or another, post it here!!!
ConnieD

Re: One day tent sale

Postby ConnieD » Sat May 28, 2011 11:01 am

I just got "beat out" of a great buy on eBay for $2.50 because I couldn't increase my maximum bid in time.

Somehow getting a $3 tent "for free" makes me feel somehow better or worse. I don't know for sure.

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat May 28, 2011 12:03 pm

Did you use RR's recommendation. Auction Sniper?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 28, 2011 12:25 pm

I used to use a stopwatch and the refresh button..calculate the refresh rate for your computer..add that to the time left for compensation of the time it takes to respond to your bid button push,etc..etc...I loved sniping stuff from other dumb crying bidders("Hey..you cheated!! WAH! :cry: ) for a penny higher than them with 1-2 second or even zero time left.. :lol: ..back in the good old days when you could see how people bid .I don't shop ebay because of all their new problems and hidden bidding by sellers. :evil:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 29, 2011 9:36 pm

I don't know about "New Problems" but I have run into problems I could not anticipate.

As for "auction sniper" NO, it is forbidden. I don't want to get banned.

That said, I am not so keen on bidding anymore:

1. I had put in my "maximum" which was quite a bit over retail because I think "collectors" are moving-in on the "inexpensive" amateur radio brand I have: Ten Tec.

2. I put "free ads" at QRZ.com Forum and on a usenet List. I had more than two or three responses. I have responded with agreement to pay June 3rd, when I have my check, and the price is better than eBay.

In summary, eBay "bidding wars" are insane.

I have been watching items. The bidders are paying more than at a retail store.

In contrast, the first List I looked at I was minutes late for getting a highly desireable "6N2" for a price "within reach".

Lesson? I am not wasting more time at eBay.

I paid twice as much for an item that wouldn't get a dollar at a garage sale, represented as "checked out in working order". It was not. The local computer tech repaired it.

That item was the guy who insured the package for contents under $20, at twice the price, after messages back and forth me asking why is the postage so high in Canada. He never said he was insuring the package.

It really irks me I could have backed out. He conned me. He knows it.

In contrast, I have never heard anyone complain about Steep and Cheap: they have, now and then, really great deals on expensive items.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 30, 2011 1:08 am

As for "auction sniper" NO, it is forbidden. I don't want to get banned.

I haven't heard of such a thing..but sniping has always been legal.If it is now,you can always snipe to the minimum time limit and others can't bid later than you..

1. I had put in my "maximum" which was quite a bit over retail because I think "collectors" are moving-in on the "inexpensive" amateur radio brand I have: Ten Tec.

If you put a maximum bid before the last few seconds,there's a 50/50 chance the person bidding against you was the seller trying to see how high you would pay for one.if the winner backed out or the item relisted,more than likely it was the seller..

I put "free ads" at QRZ.com Forum and on a usenet List. I had more than two or three responses. I have responded with agreement to pay June 3rd, when I have my check, and the price is better than eBay.

Craigslist is always free and gets good responses..in larger metropolitan areas..

In summary, eBay "bidding wars" are insane.

True..anytime someone puts in more than one bid for something with enough time for someone else to counterbid,... :roll:

I have been watching items. The bidders are paying more than at a retail store.

That could be for several reasons..the main two are that some people live quite a ways from a retail item that has the same item and it's cheaper for them to get it from ebay..even if the price is higher..and there are a lot of stupid people too lazy to look elsewhere on the net.A lot of others are scared to death of identity theft and don't trust other websites as far as credit card purchases..and there are basically some people that basically get a charge on buying on ebay,have to have an item at any price,or need ANY reason to be a winner "for a change".. :roll:

I paid twice as much for an item that wouldn't get a dollar at a garage sale, represented as "checked out in working order". It was not. The local computer tech repaired it.

That item was the guy who insured the package for contents under $20, at twice the price, after messages back and forth me asking why is the postage so high in Canada. He never said he was insuring the package.

It really irks me I could have backed out. He conned me. He knows it.

Unfortunately...buyers on ebay can do anything they want to screw over sellers these days as far as feedback and the lame detailed ratings stars(where perfect 5s are the only thing that count as "positive")..Some buyers take overly advantage of it with feedback/star extortion,negotiate true shipping charges,getting partial refunds,etc....but on the other hand some don't use it to their advantage to tell the public who are the crooked sellers,who is overcharging for shipping,broken items,etc..etc..that is the buyers choice and no retaliation possible in feedback to a buyer.Crooked buyers can get off scott free!

Ebay is set up for buyers,not sellers..of course if you are buying cheap items,you'll get screwed having to pay the shipping of returned items to get your money back from sellers through paypal(while paypal collects interest on the withheld funds during disputes and refund negotiations) but you can let people know what to expect from that seller in the future...and the seller can respond with one line..Then you get the kill shot after that,the last response!

The key to using ebay is to understand the pitfalls and advantages to their system..and don't do anything to get into the pitfalls!
Don't buy cheap items with higher shipping unless they are NEW..
Never bid more than once and earlier than the very end of an auction with enough time left for someone else to bid..use Buy-it -Now if it's cheap.
Always check a seller's feedback/stars before bidding.Anything hokey..pass on it.There will be another same item coming up shortly.
Personally..I don't buy anything outside the US,too much of a headache to return and too costly..and the chances are greater you'll need to return it..
Understand that shipping is always higher than what buyers think it should be or is...Check it out yourself(the method and additives)before bidding..not after.Doesn't ebay require a calculator now?Can sellers still tack on "handling" fees?I haven't shopped there in a couple years.
Ebay has given buyers all the power now..use it.
If you have questions about an item..ASK BEFORE YOU BID AND GET AN ANSWER BEFORE YOU BID..
OR DON'T BID!
Read descriptions carefully..before bidding!Most of the item problems I've seen for losing buyers in transactions on ebay(when I was giving advice on there)were written in the description.It's too late to complain that you didn't read them later after you've won the item with the problems...
Most honest sellers with good feedback and stars give refunds happily if it's something wrong they didn't notice..so contact the seller first before raising hell with their status.It's easier to work with a seller that isn't POed!
Would I buy something on ebay now if it was the only place to get it?Sure,why not..You don't pay the fees as a buyer,the seller does...but I would be cautious.I haven't seen anything for a couple years now on ebay I can't get local or elsewhere on the net...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Bidding wars CAN be insane. I once bid a guy up to over 2 grand on a 6" iron skillet that a family member was selling and I wanted to keep it in the family. The other bidder won when I was no longer able to get to a computer to outbid him. I refuse to get involved in bidding wars that just escalate the price. That is why I use a sniper bid which IS LEGAL and bid the most I am willing to bid. It places that bid in the last few seconds of the auction if my sniper bid has not already been outbid. There ARE a few sellers that refuse to accept sniper bids. I don't know if THAT is legal or not. I guess I could always go back to the old method of using the second hand of my watch and keep refreshing the auction listing and manually place my bid the last few seconds. :roll: It is just so much easier to use a sniper bid and not worry about being at a computer the last few minutes of the auction. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Auction sniper is a software.

It runs unattended.

It is forbidden.

eBay now has a seconds countdown near the end that is also visible on the "place bid box".

That is legal.

The seller was a ripoff artist. He "worked the system" to defraud. He knew it.

He put on an act he was a good guy and a victim of eBay refusals to accomodate him: total con-man.

If he couldn't cheat me, he was going to cheat the postal system with the "insurance". Rip-off artist.

There is noting in the eBay "rating system" to say all that. I have given Feedback three times on the eBay "surveys" about this one matter.

eBay sent another Feedback request.

I would rather just quit: I am not being compensated to make eBay a better place.

eBay's protection process did nothing to stop abuse from this seller.

I put a "watch" on several items: all overpriced and over retail. I am not going back.

The buyer abuse? The money has to be there before the Seller sends out the item.

If no money, they relist the item. Oh boy, that is really tough!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 30, 2011 9:41 pm

If you want to dump on a seller..give him all "ones"(verses "fives") on his detailed seller's rating STARS...rather than nothing at all..It's anonymous..unless it's the only thing he sold recently.

The seller doesn't get the money..PAYPAL gets the money until the buyer is happy.They can hold it up to 21 days in a dispute situation.Paypal/Ebay GUARANTEES the buyer is satisfied...If you used a credit card and paypal doesn't come through,you can always stop payment also..so you are covered double...Paypal will go after the seller..since they are holding HIS money...
Ebay countdown counters aren't worth anything because all computers refresh at a different rate.Figure your refresh rate..compensate for it..and you can put bids in with 1-2 seconds left...More than likely you'll have to submit a bid with 5-10 seconds left to get it received with 1-2 seconds to go.I've won lots of things with 1-2 seconds left or even 0 seconds left.I've had people email and call me a cheater,offer to buy the item for more,etc..etc...People are stupid in the way they bid..some bid on even dollar amounts,some bid at ".95"( :lol: ) other stupid people even bid during the auction or in the beginning..how dumb is that!
Smart people will bid a nickel or more over the dollar amount..do research to get a true value of an item before bidding..check feedback and the description...place one bid with not enough time for someone to respond to it.If you don't win the item..there are plenty more coming up more than likely.
I spent from 1999 until about 2007 or 8 as an occupation on ebay..buying and selling..and 2-3 years giving advise to others on the discussion boards...I guess I don't know anything..must be my Alzheimer's kicking in. :lol: .I finally quit ebay when they totally covered up all the crooked activity in the guise of "buyer and seller privacy..which was BS... :roll: They only did it to make them look good and to end people making legitimate and obvious complaints to the FTC,BBB,state AGs,and anyone else that would listen.If there is no way to see problems,there are no complaints or obvious evidence of such happenings..therefore..they must not exist! :roll: ..yeah,right!If there is no buyer or seller fraud showing..therefore it must not exist! :roll:
Paypal complaints were averaging 20+ pages a week on the discussion board..at 25 or 50 complaints per page.They dumped the continuous full number and only started posting the current week or so.I don't know what they do now and really don't care...

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 31, 2011 9:31 am

I have not turned in a rating.

I feel really bad about that: I cannot really warn other buyers.

I feel if I gave him a bad Seller rating, he would turn around and give me a bad Buyer rating then I am "ripped off" again by that Seller.

I told eBay they shouldn't allow that Seller on eBay: it wasn't even in working order.

It was damaged and the damage was obvious.

It was not tested and in working order, as listed.

For my part, I did not contact him for the shipping information before the sale.

I could not contact him.

I kept getting "redirected" by eBay to meaningless forms and irrelevant pages of "information" off-the-point in eBay, rather than being allowed to send the Seller a message.

I have sent Sellers messages before, after the sale, so I know we are allowed to send the Seller a message. But before the sale, I could not send the Seller a message before the sale.

I wanted to ask him about the actual shipping charges. I tried!

eBay kept redirecting me elsewhere: it was a "loop" round and round.

I could not send the Seller a message until after I hit "Buy it now".

I would never dream the shipping would be more than the price of a $20 lightweight and reasonably small item. I never dreamt he would send it Express Mail - Insured.

I asked for less postal charges and he wouldn't tell me he would send it Express Mail - Insured.

I never purchase anything Express Mail or insured.

I turn to UPS of Fed Ex for big purchases. I think I have insured one package, once.

I know a man in the next town, here, who supported himself his wife and his kid through two years of having the only highway into his town torn up and re-routed. He took his storefront business to eBay, selling no more that two or three items at a time and, he said, not too frequently. He got very high prices, finding customers worldwide for his really excellent craftsmanship. He made a success of it.

He spent time, explaining what he did believing I could have an online business with eBay, as well.

I stuck my toe in the water, so to speak, to find out the hazards and the pitfalls.

I found out.

I don't have his level of income to afford these problems, or spending my time getting nothing more than a useless run-around from eBay. eBay requested four Feedback forms, after-the-fact.

I filled out three. I am not doing more.

I will not have an online business with eBay.

I will not recommend eBay to anyone, Buyer or Seller.

I will not help local businessmen and others, here, get a store up on eBay. I will not get in the middle of it. eBay is no place for buying or selling as far as I am concerned, because eBay is run by the people at eBay; as far as I am concerned, their business plan is not acceptable for doing business because they are the people who they are: they have proven to me they do not have integrity.

I should add, I REALLY DIDN'T APPRECIATE their nasty "joke forum moderators".

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 31, 2011 11:35 am

A buyer can't get bad feedback and can have any bad comments from sellers removed from theirs..A seller can't,even if the person didn't pay..as in my case I took to the AG in my state to have a buyer's feedback removed who said i ripped him off.Ebay told the AG that "they could not remove the feedback because the buyer didn't contest the nonpayment". HUH???? But it was okay to say that I had stolen his payment.. :roll:
That's when I quit ebay..along with changing to 100% paypal payments(with pricey exceptions),you couldn't ask for other payments possible or mention them,good feedback only for buyers,paypal/ebay fees for shipping costs also(they ding sellers for all because some sellers were pumping up the shipping costs),good/bad seller ratings based on a system of 1-5 where 5 is the only positive point(anything less is crap in ebay's eyes..but not informing buyers that "average" is 5!),basing your costs on that rating(why they didn't mention the inequality),you can't say anything bad about ebay in your ads or they'll pull them,You can't mention past bad experiences and why you "no longer do this or that".Calculated shipping that can not include 2 separate boxes(like speakers and bigger items that need two boxes and two calculated shippings verses a single set price,books are based by weight with a cost limit you can only charge less than the cost of shipping the book,a one way dispute system that is extremely pro buyer,paypal able to hold up your account and the funds in it for 21 days(even if the dispute is a lot less than the amount they are holding,etc..etc.
Connie..I agree with you about the joke moderators on the boards.I have lots of enemies on their because I was "pro-buyer/seller and not pro-ebay.I told people the truth about ebay on there and got slammed by the "group" running the board.If I go back to ever selling on ebay,I have a list of 50-100 names I need to add to my blocked bidder list...and still turn in possible other names such as "Hey ebay..is this person that screwed up my auction also this other ebay person?" I have 3 ebay names and accounts.Most regulars on the boards do also to prevent people from messing with their selling names and auctions.There are off site websites the group uses to compare notes,keep their enemies selling/buying/posting ids linked together for future screwing with their enemy's auctions. http://takeitoutback.com/phpbb/index.php It's a private website of the group that owns the board.... ;) I know all my ebay names are linked on there...
I watched the discussion board group screw over one lady's auctions,order a ton of online crap in her name and address sent to her home(say 50 items..free magazines,baby crap,wedding crap..she's was over 60,naive, and frantic.)We were able to track down one of them and got her fired from her job because she was doing it from work..ebay would do nothing because it was "offsite".Most other companies where stuff was ordered wouldn't provide the "IP address of the buyer for verification"..one did,and the lady doing some of the ordering got nailed with a letter to her boss.The lady had 50 or so phone calls of verification of the orders.
I quit the boards..too much BS from the regulars that didn't care about the posters,just ebay.

Return to “New and Used Gear For Sale”