3/8 flint rods

Have some lightweight gear to be rid of for one reason or another, post it here!!!
zelph

3/8 flint rods

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:01 am

Wish I had a good source for some 3/8 flint/steel rods.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: 3/8 flint rods

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:33 am

Okay 2 ton..Quit hiding..you can come out of the woodwork now. :lol: .Welcome aboard!..Kerry
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Went over at his sale point and talked with him some more..I worked up this firestarter set of items he has for sale for one of my packs..add a piece of hacksaw blade(or not..always carry a knife for striking),fill it with jute tinder cord(or not)or some of the white firestarter*, and it's complete.I'll add a small carabiner..and who needs matches? :DB:

He carries these tubes in three sizes..the magnesium rod is 3/4"x3"(carried in several sizes also..this is the smallest to about 2"x6"),the "ferrostick"(What I call them) is 1/4"x3(about 1/8"x2" to 1/2"x6" monster).The tube overall(with cap) is 6" long and waterproof for alcohol or anything.This is the mid-length tube,could hold 1-1/2oz of heet.(think they go from about 1oz to 2-1/2oz..not sure)
The plastic tube weighs around 40 grams(solid,like nalgene material)with cap.The flint and magnesium weighs just under 30 grams for a total of 70 grams you can hang off your pack with adding a small carabiner or use the lanyard(35" of cord and a cordlock) with it.
I might grab a couple more of the tubes for fuel for day hikes.. ;)
The white stuff(*) looks like a bar of soap mixed with lighter fluid,works well..sells cubes about 1" square...I also picked up a baggie with fatwood..about 5oz..figure about 3 pieces per bag 3/4x3/4x5+" per bag.
I picked up another of the "ferrosticks" for the wife--->

No..I don't wear jade bangles! :evil: :lol: Actually this was her second attempt to start a fire with one and she forgot to hold the knife at 90 degrees to the stick. :roll: Her first attempt fired up on the first pull..but I didn't have the camera ready. :lol: I no longer have to start her fire or cook dinner.She's more than happy to do it..I think I've created another pyromaniac monster here... :o
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:48 pm

you can do a google search and find all kinds of places that sell the blank rods of every size. all you have to do at that point is epoxy on whatever you want to use as a handle.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Yeah..I was thinking of making some exotic wood handles for some rods and epoxy them on.This guy is convenient to me so I bought enough to supply all my packs at one time(or made two trips around the corner about 4 blocks).The ones with the plastic handles(orange or black..I chose orange,harder to misplace) are handy as they are and I don't have to deal with making the handles..but they wouldn't fit inside the tubes,so I bought a 1/4" one for that set.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:02 pm

I'm going to purchase a few items from 2Ton when he arrives with a posting :D

Thanks RG for updating us on your purchases from him......look forward to meeting 2ton :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:04 pm

I told him you may wanna buy bulk... ;) ..sounds like no problem...

2Ton

Postby 2Ton » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:45 am

2Ton here.

My ears are burnin'

Someone talkin' 'bout me?

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 pm

2Ton wrote:2Ton here.

My ears are burnin'

Someone talkin' 'bout me?

Kerry told us about finding you at a sale and we wanted you to stop by and fill us in on your equipment that might be useful to backpackers, campers and paddlers.

Give us link to where we can purchase and read all about your stuff. I like stuff, I need more stuff :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:25 pm

I need more stuff
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “New and Used Gear For Sale”