Found another creative soul. This time a pizza oven

Videos of the do-it-yourself stoves.
sudden

Found another creative soul. This time a pizza oven

Postby sudden » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:55 am

He is selling these for a good price I think considering it would cost me ~$3500 for a normal outdoor pizza oven.
I like how it incorporates so many of the different ideas I've seen on wood stoves. I think he could do away with the fan and the pellets if he went more traditional rocket stove feed method.
Reminds me of my bradley smoker. Make the burner and attach whatever "oven" attachment you can come up with.

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Re: Found another creative soul. This time a pizza oven

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Do pizza ovens heat from the bottom or are the heated by radiant heat from sides and above?

Creative soul's oven looks more radiant heat from above/over the top of the pizza. :?
Did that front plate have holes in it?

I like his method of burning the pellets in the tray with forced air behind it. I like his manual feed....tapping on the side of the hopper :mrgreen:

Notice he had to turn the pizza to get it cooked in it's entirety. He needs a rotary table inside the oven and a good size knob under the oven to turn the pizza as necessary :geek:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:02 pm

The good wood fired home pizza ovens are a preheat affair.

You light a fire to bring the temp up then push the coals back or remove them and start your pizza cooking. Temps start out at ~900f and fall slowly overnight so bread baking and meat dishes would go in after the pizza for a longer lower temp cook.

His idea is clever and cheap but not perfect. I've seen local pizza shops turn the pizza mid way through the cooking.

With the heavy insulated method above, the heat radiates from the massive walls in all directions so no turning required and cook times are much faster. There can be problems though with the dough not cooking completely when the toppings are on it. His temps are far lower, maybe that helps the dough cook better with toppings on. Don't know for sure.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:51 am

What would be your basic design if you used a rocket stove? what would be the shape/configuration?

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 pm

zelph wrote:What would be your basic design if you used a rocket stove? what would be the shape/configuration?

The rocket stove would just be the burner. Instead of exiting out the top into the air (normally where you would put your pot of water etc), you let it exit into a chamber big enough for a pizza or loaf of bread. The idea isn't new, I've seen a couple videos of them in action. This guys pellet feed stove was just different enough to be interesting to me.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:01 pm

OK, the double wall looks good. Looks easy enough as a DIY project. Interesting to see he added a bowl of water for moisture and also the burnt bottom of the loaves because he removed the ceramic block. We learned a few things there. :D

Lots of creative souls out there. I need inspiration ;) I'm kinda in a slump :o

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:34 am

I learned about the water pan trick while making german hard rolls. I put a cast iron pan in the oven when it first turns on then, when the rolls are ready to go in, i pour a cup of water into the pan. That initial steam makes a huge difference in the crust.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:50 am

Makes me want to make some bread and beagles :D

what have you been working on lately?

I got some titanium in the mail today for a wood burner idea that's been lingering at the back of my mind. Got to put it into reality. :mrgreen:

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:48 pm

zelph wrote:Makes me want to make some bread and beagles :D

what have you been working on lately?

I got some titanium in the mail today for a wood burner idea that's been lingering at the back of my mind. Got to put it into reality. :mrgreen:

Thinking of adding a small fire pit to the patio is all. Something real simple with pavers is all I want. Must have fire :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Fire is good......I did some serious brat cooking on a campfire yesterday at a local campground........gee they were awesomely good!!!! :mrgreen: Wish I could have gotten a photo of the mustard on my face :lol: :sandwich:

Return to “YouTube's Finest Stovies”