Shugs Minnesota Cold-Butt Hang))))))

Videos of the do-it-yourself stoves.
zelph

Shugs Minnesota Cold-Butt Hang))))))

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:28 pm

This is how they survive the cold in MN. Brave they are!!!!!

Good thing he has a dependable stove ;)

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Re: Shugs Minnesota Cold-Butt Hang))))))

Postby ConnieD » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:11 am

In Montana dry-cold, if there is no wind -20 F isn't bad if I am walking. For sleep, I want to be warm inside my "cocoon".

I dress differently at 20 F, -5 F, and -20 F. Is Shug wearing the same clothing and same layers, only warmer socks?

Huh?
Only about 2 F difference under that hammock tarp?
If he had "hammock doors" would it be any warmer?
It seems to me that type tarp is only for keeping off rain or wet snow.
Do you think alcohol is consumed at that "social hang"?

I feel more difference than that "ground-sleeping" on a sleeping pad inside a tarp. I get the tarp more "buttoned-down" than he has it there, or, I have a reflective warming fire. I feel the same about "ground-sleeping" on a sleeping pad in a tent, however I prefer the tarp because I can have a reflective warming fire.

If not, I'd rather be inside properly built snow cave.

I admit, I have been warm in my Choinard PeaPod hammock and Sierra Designs 300 "Perfect" around the outside with a Cascade Designs ThermaRest pad inside the hammock. I thought it was, maybe -20 F. I know it was in that minus temperatures zone because of the "crackin' snow" sound of the snow when you step on it. It could also be described as squeeking snow steps. However, it is "crackin snow" because if you don't have cold-weather boots, the soles of the boots will crack to pieces the first time you step on the snow in your boots.

I didn't have a max-min thermometer in those days.
Last edited by ConnieD on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:18 pm

We have a "survivor" show out here called "Dual Survivor"..anyway..on one episode they set up a clear plastic tarp they found in front of where they were sleeping and a reflective space blanket behind them..with the fire outside the clear tarp with the heat radiating in from there and reflecting off the back wall around their bodies...quoting that "it was quite warm inside"(like 60-70 and below freezing outside) when it was all buttoned up on the ends..
Anybody try that?..just wondering...Something for you to think about,Connie,with your reflective tarp..Seal up the front somewhat with lightweight clear plastic sheeting..I'd say moisture problems.. but that might not be too bad to control.
This looks like it might have been a good time/place to try out that idea...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:23 pm

That is my goal of my reflective tarp on one side.

I am also looking at the aluminized ripstop nylon for a dew cloth-additional windbreak suspended low on my Shangri-La 3. I would use the tie-outs inside for attaching a panel on one side, away from the door. Open the doors, pitch the doors to the side, maybe, and make the most of a small-to-medium size warming fire.

I would like to find out the temperatures each set-up would be effective.

I would try a small wood stove in the Shangri-La, using an alternative opening from the top of the door panel first, if I need more for winter camping in situ.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Netflix has Dual Survival Season 1 Episode 1 "Shipwrecked". YouTube has video clips.

I forgot I saw that: Cody Lundin "liked" the idea of a greenhouse and Dave Canterbury admitted it was warm in there.

Dave Canterbury remarked: "it is like a sweat lodge in here".

I would think the build-up of moisture would defeat the purpose, if not in one night, then, in more than one night.
Last edited by ConnieD on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:44 pm

I noticed they didn't use that idea in the Olympic National Park episode..they would have drowned in there(humidity at 300%).In a dry climate...It would probably be more controllable and the ends could be opened somewhat for ventilation..and it was a "survival" type thing.
If you saw the episode..I'm surprised you haven't tried the idea,Connie..seems like it fits in with what you are thinking about as far as tarps,heat from a fire,etc.I would think a plastic sheet a couple mms thick wouldn't weigh much and worth a shot.It's something I've thought about but haven't had the situation to try it.
I would think a more open "head" end vent..might control the moisture by more breathing outside the structure..should help keep it down.
In Shug's situation,I would think any type of better containment around the hammock might make it warmer..but it appears he isn't around the fire area.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:48 pm

I don't get my "ideas" from "good television". I have my ideas from 50-years experience.

I don't do that greenhouse idea because wetting-out your clothing and sleeping-system is the worst thing you can do for "survival". Survival doesn't mean "discomfort" for one night, and, walk out to the highway. Survival has to be as long as it takes.

I had a 10x10 6-mil plastic tarp, once, for girl scouts. I made a lean-to with the plastic under us, up one side, and open ends and we slept side-by-side like sardines in the North Cascades in pouring cold rain. We were the only kids that slept warm on that 18-day trip.

plastic sheet a couple mms thick

Those kids who brought anything less than 6-mil plastic had the plastic shredded by wind.

In Shug's situation,I would think any type of better containment around the hammock might make it warmer..but it appears he isn't around the fire area.

The first warmth "containment" is keeping your own warmth in: the central-heating is your own body warmth and your own metabolism. For example: If I feel cold, at night, I eat a Snickers bar and drink a little water.

What I "like" about Dual Survival tv-series is that the interaction of different personalities is shown, a major factor in a survival situation. I think choice of outdoor-experience companions is essential: you have to be able to rely on each other.

I do like Les Stroud: Boreal Forest, Artic, Mountains, Winter Plane Crash, Labrador, Alaska, Sierra Nevada, Artic Tundra, Colorado Rockies, Deep Woods episodes, but he "bails out" in 4 days, and even less

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:45 pm

I was looking at Wintrekker's Channel on YouTube.

It referred to a website.

The website referred to a forum.

Here is Les Stroud survival 7-days: Stranded-Winter, HD 45 minutes.
http://www.wintertrekking.com/community ... pic=1790.0

I would have posted this YouTube video however it is "unlisted".

Return to “YouTube's Finest Stovies”