Have we seen this one yet? I like the pot he found.

Videos of the do-it-yourself stoves.
ConnieD

Re: Have we seen this one yet? I like the pot he found.

Postby ConnieD » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:45 am

I like that plastic container, with a screw on ring for the mosquito netting strainer.

I looked. I don't see anything like it online.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:51 pm

I think sprout growing containers might have mesh lids,usually of different meshes..and solid lids also..go into a "greenie" vegetarian neighborhood and they might be throwing those away. :lol: .As far as the $1 lighter..I think Dollar Tree has those 2 or 3 for a buck. ;)
Of course the main thing is to get a lot of components that do fit snug inside each other and a kit can be put together for a total expenditure of a very insignificant amount of money.For the components he used..he must be dumpster diving in a ritzy neighborhood..but they do fit well together!It might take a lot of diving,(bring mask and snorkel!)..but it can be done! :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:05 pm

realityguy wrote:I think sprout growing containers might have mesh lids,usually of different meshes

Just add a hydroponic camel back and you can bring fresh spices and herbs on the hike :ugeek: Disclaimer: Not for day hikers :D
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:03 pm

I have seen people with sprouts growning in a nylon mesh "dunk" bag. Rinse in stream.

Of course, that was where (and when) streams were crystal clear and clean.

I don't want to grow sprouts.

I do want to screen out the larger bugs and floating debris when I collect water.

Maybe I could cut-out the center portion of a ziplock, using the "locking ring"?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Maybe I could cut-out the center portion of a ziplock, using the "locking ring"?

Just like a canning jar lid setup..just find another solid lid piece to get a new larger center out of and use some type of foam or rubber seal around the perimeter.The screened area doesn't need to be huge..you are just getting water into the jar without debris.
it is nice to find straight-sided outer containers,something you don't find too often..however if you are using a cone shaped windscreen,the angled ziplocs might be a better container.Maybe if you buy a ziploc "2-pk"..you can keep one full lid and modify the other with the screen hole..or cut out and use the second lid's center portion as the "canning-type" lid that fits under the screw ring's perimeter...Just a thought as to what might work well.I always pack along a zip-loc container covered with the silver windshield cover's silvered foam stuff..covered with tape to cook/eat with... anyway.We have enough clear water sources that debris hasn't been a problem for me.

Everything to the right of the granola bars in the first picture fits inside the ziplock as shown in the second one.The ziploc does fit in my "beach bearcan" but "bearly"( :lol: ..intent on the misspell).I don't remember if the ziploc fit in this bear can..but I have 3-4 of them and it does fit in the largest one..and I can boil bath water in the bear can as an added bonus.Try that in a plastic bear vault.. :lol: ..melt-down!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Our floating debris are insects.

His cookset really starts me thinking.

I am thinking the cut-out lid idea would work well for holding the ziplock bag edges up and over the top edge, for freezer bag cooking, as well.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Nice interesting set you got there RG. You are one well equiped happy camper/hiker.

Draw the bath water will you dear :lol:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:05 pm

As I've said in the past..no..the ukulele won't fit in the bearcan..RATS! :cry:
:lol:

Hmm..I could bake a loaf of bread in the bearcan with the direct stove heat on the side...mini-oven!..and a round pan that would fit inside.. :roll: ..I'll have to try that.

You can just put your freezer bag in the the ziploc and set the reversed insulated lid on top of it.Put a rock on top if you don't want heat to escape.I generally mix everything(noodles,dehydrated veggies,and "stuff" in the insulated ziploc itself and pour the hot water in..add the meat or tuna later after the noodles and spices have cooked...eat right out of the ziploc.I guess the freezer bag might make it so you don't need to clean the zip-loc container..

Return to “YouTube's Finest Stovies”