Real world stoves with simple tools

Videos of the do-it-yourself stoves.
sudden

Real world stoves with simple tools

Postby sudden » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:18 pm

I enjoyed watching this. Real diy with available tools and parts (some welding).
Their hole punch sure is easy to use.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

hplar

Re: Real world stoves with simple tools

Postby hplar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Nice video... Just goes to show what can be done with very few tools, spare parts, and plenty of ingenuity...

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:54 pm

I had a real aha moment at ~3min in when he bent that lower grate so he could insert it into the stove, and then he flattened it back out.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:26 am

sudden wrote:I had a real aha moment at ~3min in when he bent that lower grate so he could insert it into the stove, and then he flattened it back out.

"press fit" takes on a whole new meaning :D I agree, the 3 min mark was an AhhhHaaa moment.

Tinsmithing is alive and well over there.

That coil type burner was interesting. Is that what it could be called? Opps, your opinion here ;)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:37 am

no its not a coil burner its like them optimus and primus but taller the fuel goes up the out side tube get hot at the top then back down the other tube at the jet to adjust the flame raise or lower the can witch is kerosine looks like a propane touch jet. oh the fuel can be gasoline also
Man play with fire man get burnt

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:06 am

oops56 wrote:no its not a coil burner its like them optimus and primus but taller the fuel goes up the out side tube get hot at the top then back down the other tube at the jet to adjust the flame raise or lower the can witch is kerosine looks like a propane touch jet. oh the fuel can be gasoline also

I was wondering about that too. It does have the look of a coil burner with that pressurized bit. Thanks for the explanation.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks for setting us straight. The optimuses and other types like it are pressurized. This gravity fedd one makes me think coil without the wick material. Wait, maybe there is a wick of sorts in ther to prevent it from gushing out. What do ya tink?

Everytime I come to this thread, I watch the video again :D Interesting to see how easy it is for the artisans to do their thing. I simple I beam makes for a great bending/forming tool.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:14 am

zelph wrote:Thanks for setting us straight. The optimuses and other types like it are pressurized. This gravity fedd one makes me think coil without the wick material. Wait, maybe there is a wick of sorts in ther to prevent it from gushing out. What do ya tink?

Everytime I come to this thread, I watch the video again :D Interesting to see how easy it is for the artisans to do their thing. I simple I beam makes for a great bending/forming tool.

no wicks in the up right tubes but can be in the main line it be cotton wick controls flow the higher the fuel pot faster flow higher flame low fuel tank lower flame

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:51 pm

I just had the idea to use a gravity fed line going into a coil stove and to use kerosene instead of alcohol stove.

Oops, you got some time to spare to try that out on one your many coil stoves. You got one to sacrifice for the advancement of stove technology ;)

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 pm

zelph wrote:I just had the idea to use a gravity fed line going into a coil stove and to use kerosene instead of alcohol stove.

Oops, you got some time to spare to try that out on one your many coil stoves. You got one to sacrifice for the advancement of stove technology ;)

the jet hole size for kerosine not the same for alcohol or colmen

Return to “YouTube's Finest Stovies”