1 Tbsp crumbled dried mushrooms
1 Tbsp ‘Beef’ TVP (or dried hamburger)

In a leak proof bottle take:
2 tsp ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp low sodium beef bouillon powder
Couple grinds black pepper
1/4 tsp granulated garlic

Also pack one 1-ounce tub or foil packet cream cheese.

Add 2 cups nearly boiling water to the pasta bag. Seal tightly and put in a cozy for 15 minutes. When done, drain off most of the remaining water carefully. Leave about a Tablespoon behind. Add in the cream cheese and sauce blend. Stir till blended.
Serves 1 hearty appetite.

Notes: Cream cheese in sealed packets will last for 2 days on the trail unless in very hot areas such as the desert, otherwise use first night out. Check for packets and tubs in the bakery section of grocery stores, you can sometimes find shelf stable cream cheese. For the ketchup if you wish to carry packets, you will need two of them.

If you would like to use ramen noodles, substitute one 3-ounce packet. Toss the flavor packet and put in a cozy for 10 minutes. Follow the rest of the directions.

Notes: I liberally cover the dish with Parmesan cheese. If you want to find "beef" head over to http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com and look under TVP for it. The recipe can also be prepared with regular pasta - just cook your pasta for the time on box, then drain and proceed.

This recipe is one that is in our soon to be done second book :)

~Sarah
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

Ridgerunner

Re: 'Beef' Stroganoff

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed May 28, 2008 11:29 pm

This recipe sounds very good and is very similar to a recipe I use. I have not heard of using ketchup in the stroganoff sauce. I will have to give it a try. Thanks Sarah !
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sarbar

Postby sarbar » Thu May 29, 2008 12:35 am

A couple years ago I found a lighter recipe for home that used ketchup and got hooked. It is an awesome way to get the traditional tomato paste flavor and make it trail friendly :) So this recipe was an adaption of that home recipe.
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 29, 2008 10:14 am

Ingredients soun great, especially the catsup. It makes everything taste great, especially eggs :D

Thanks Sarbar for the addition to your menus
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 31, 2008 7:55 am

catsup. It makes everything taste great, especially eggs

Zelph, I heard a rumor that you DON'T like eggs :o and have to cover them up with catsup to get them past your palate. :P
I remember, as a small boy, my one grandfather putting catsup on scrambled eggs. I took to that combo like a fish in water. ;) Only on plain scrambled eggs though. Putting catsup on a good cheesy western omlette would be like covering a good seasoned Rib-eye steak with A-1 sauce. :shock: :roll: May as well eat mystery meat ! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat May 31, 2008 1:35 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
catsup. It makes everything taste great, especially eggs

Zelph, I heard a rumor that you DON'T like eggs :o and have to cover them up with catsup to get them past your palate. :P
I remember, as a small boy, my one grandfather putting catsup on scrambled eggs. I took to that combo like a fish in water. ;) Only on plain scrambled eggs though. Putting catsup on a good cheesy western omlette would be like covering a good seasoned Rib-eye steak with A-1 sauce. :shock: :roll: May as well eat mystery meat ! :lol:

I'll agree with you there about the cheezy omlet.I would not use it ther, it would ruin the taste for sure. Only tine I use catsup on meat is when it's a poor quality cut or it's wild and tastes too wild and needs the coverup :mrgreen:

I like how catsup smoothes out chili :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”