dehydrated meals

Discuss favorite methods and recipes
zelph

Re: dehydrated meals

Postby zelph » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Venison Jerky is something I havent made yet but I really want to.

I tried 2 years ago :roll: While the meat was marinating I cooked and ate some :roll: The next day a little more was cooked and eaten :lol: By the 3rd day it was finished off. The aroma of the marinade in the house "made me doit" :dinner: :DBfire:

Isn't there some kind of lean meat on those hogs you get to make some jerky from them? How about pork rind aka hog/boar rind?

Now we are getting into "soup" weather. You've got the ingredients/makins for a good soup.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:45 pm

I like the soup idea a lot. These could all be soups. just change the ratio and add some kind of boullion.

This past week I enjoyed my diet more than ever while out backpacking. I did have to use a few tricks to get everything to rehydrate thoroughly. In my day-before testing I realized a few items seemed to take a lot longer. On the trail I removed the chicken and whole olives (next time Ill slice them) on an afternoon break and put them in my DIY insulated Ziploc container with a little bit of water and olive oil and let it soak in my pack until supper. When it was time to make supper both had swelled up and were nearly soft already. The edamame needed a similar treatment but I just put the entire meal in a little water and olive oil and it turned out great.

I made a big batch of jerky from venison backstraps, sirloin steak, and flank steak. I cant believe how good it is. I ate it all day long with the dried fruit and had energy all day. I did about 3/4 of a lb of honey baked ham too. (you have to try this)
To reduce fuel and water use we decided beforehand to not do breakfasts. We would brew up a little water in the mornings for two cups of coffee and that would be it. My suppers however all turned out to be a little more than I could eat all at once so I saved the leftovers and ate them each morning for a quick power breakfast. It seemed to work really well.

The Trip turned out awesome. We had snow, sleet, rain, and hot days.The Foothills Trail may not get as much publicity as The Smokies but it is a beautiful and very tough trail. We started at Table Rock State Park in SC and ended 77 miles later at Oconee State Park. The ONLY bad thing about the trip and any thru-hiking trip is that there is no time for fishing or many side adventures. :(

To what you see below I added 4 powerbars, a few apples, 2 oranges, and 2 tuna foilpacks for the trip.
1.almonds, mango, blueberries, golden raisins
2.strawberries, apples, raw walnuts
3.yellow rice, dried ground venison, edamame, carrots, portabella mushrooms, feta cheese, olives
4.brown rice, red beans, carrots, venison, cavenders seasoning
5.brown rice, chicken, black beans, olives, atichoke hearts, red chili powder, pepper
6. 2 spaghetti
2 bags of jerky and one of ham
I added one more entree for a total of six but didnt need it.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Nice photos, thank you!

ONLY bad thing about the trip and any thru-hiking trip is that there is no time for fishing or many side adventures.

Bummer....There's fish in that dark water in the 2nd photo from bottom ;)

This past week I enjoyed my diet more than ever while out backpacking.

These quotes make me understand why :D

I made a big batch of jerky from venison backstraps, sirloin steak, and flank steak. I cant believe how good it is. I ate it all day long with the dried fruit and had energy all day.

My suppers however all turned out to be a little more than I could eat all at once so I saved the leftovers and ate them each morning for a quick power breakfast.

When you're hiking is not a time to be on a diet ;)

I did about 3/4 of a lb of honey baked ham too. (you have to try this)

What size pieces of the ham didyou do? Sounds yummy.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:37 am

I am planning to go back to the Chattooga and do some fishing, with a little hiking between campsites. The 6 mile stretch that we were on had many nice campsites and lots of really nice looking water. I used to camp up there a lot when I lived in Atlanta. Fish in the morning, cook, take a nap, go fishing again. :D I like that schedule.
I did cook all of my meals on my woodstove except for my morning brew made with a Starlyte stove. I used 2 oz of alcohol for the trip. Even with wet weather I was able to do this by breaking up and collecting a hip pocket full of drier wood from the higher,drier western faces/ ridges during the day before descending to the areas where everything was dripping wet. The pocket is the perfect size for about a load and a half of wood and it is already processed and ready to burn when you pull into camp after dark. It cant weigh but a couple of oz when loaded but it lets me sample twigs along the hike looking for the driest. The sum total of time during the day couldnt be 5 or ten minutes.
I was really impressed with the amount of work the FTC (foothills trail conference) had done on the trail. There were piles of firewood already gathered at most of the campsites and there are thousand stairs hacked into the very steep trail sections. The trail is very well marked too.

notice the chairs:

I love this shelter.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:15 am

Fish in the morning, cook, take a nap, go fishing again. I like that schedule.

I like that one also :D

Nothing like having a wood stove filled with dry twigs to make a day end well. Once you got a stove going well, the wet twigs dry out fast and join in on the fun ;)

There were piles of firewood already gathered at most of the campsites and there are thousand stairs hacked into the very steep trail sections. The trail is very well marked too.

Life does get easier :D thanks to FTC I like easy!

Maybe this coming Friday and Sat. I can get some bush time in. Need to take some solo time, been hectic around here. :roll:

Great photos, thank you! :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:22 pm

cadyak, is the shelter the shangrala? Do you have a bug screen for it?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:29 pm

It is the Shangrila 5. I dont have the inner for it. Both are in high demand right now because Golite has been out of stock for months. I am keeping a look out for one If I see it.
I like the ones I have seen with mesh sewn along the bottom edge and a mesh door, but I would want it to be removable like maybe velcro....

Also, It aint no 5 man tent. more like two with all their stuff and room to cook.... :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:06 pm

That's perfect size for two w/gear. Plus you have head room ;) Most tent manufacturers tend to over value the sleeping capacity. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Looks big enough for only one :P

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:11 pm

Anyone using powdered peanut butter in their recipes? I might buy some and give it a try but I need some ideas of how to use it as a flavoring, got any?

http://fitnutzbutter.com/

I found some ingredients that might help with a recipe:

Herbal Coffee Hazelnut

http://www.vitacost.com/teeccino-medite ... ack-of-2-1

Flavoring

http://www.spicesetc.com/product/Hazeln ... Flavorings

Nestle® Coffee-mate® Flavored Powder Creamer Canisters; Hazelnut, 15-oz.

http://www.quill.com/carnation-coffee-m ... 88038.html

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”