Need a slow burning soda can stove

Discuss favorite methods and recipes
english stu

Need a slow burning soda can stove

Postby english stu » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:37 am

I would like to carry a soda can stove to help me bake biscuits and brownies on the trail.I have made the stove from one soda can as seen on femalesurvivalist.com, there is a video, although its easy enough to make no measurements are given.Anyone got these or can advise on anything better for baking.I normally use the bushcooker stove and would welcome any views on baking with this type of stove. I normally carry an alky stove as back up.

realityguy

Re: Need a slow burning soda can stove

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:40 am

Construct a smaller diameter soda can stove about 1-1/2" diameter and 1-1/2" high with rolled fiberglass cloth(rolled edge up) and the top hole roughly 1" across for a slower burning stove for simmering for 40-50minutes.Keep the pot about 1" to 1-1/2" above the stove..

Search under "baking" in the forums here.Should be lots of posts on stoves for that purpose.I bake also and construct stoves that have dual modes for that purpose with a smaller burner inside a larger diameter one so I have options.(sheba,spice can,skitzoid queen..might come up).By making a stove with a center smaller compartment and stove there,you get several options for whatever burn you need with an outer ring burner for high heat and a smaller one inside for simmering or any combination of the two modes depending on how much fuel you put in each compartment.

The top stove's simmer portion..the inner burner is made from an aluminum Milk talc can(hair spray?) which is a smaller diameter aluminum can. A can cutter: Image Where to cut the can(or similar can..Cut the top off,then cut down the 1-1/2" at both ends by holding the cutter and spinning the can a few times around while holding it against the razor blade:
Image The top ring is cut to about 1" to 1-1/8" diameter.The top and bottom are cut off at about 1-1/2" high.A wood round dowel is run around the bottom portion's top edge to flair it out some for pressing.Add a piece of screen from a kitchen sieve into the top of the hole in the top half making it flush with the top of the lip.Fiberglass cloth is rolled and fit into the top half of the can pressing against the screen,then that portion is pressed down into the bottom of the can... so it could be its own low heat simmer stove by itself.That portion will simmer for 40-50 minutes(just a very few minimal boiling bubbles) using heet...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: Need a slow burning soda can stove

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:41 pm

You can slow the burn rate of your stove by adding water to the alcohol. Oops56 has the reduction rate on the tip of his tongue :D I can't remember it!!! :o ate too much turkey ;)

You'll need a jello mold and a pot to fit in order to bake. I'll get a link to a thread here that shows the method.

Here is the helpful thread on baking:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=523

Ridgerunners set-up

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

If you use a set-up like Ridgerunners you wont need to add water to your fuel.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”