Boiling Ground beef

Discuss favorite methods and recipes
Image
User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5248
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:53 am

Zelph, The meatcutter will slice your roast into 1/8" thin slabs for you--just ask ans ask to see the first slice so you are on the same page as to how thin an 1/8" is. ;) Top Round is a very lean tight grained muscle. Also ask the meatcutter to trim the external fat off.
Yes, marinade does take the wild taste away fron venison as does any "good" cooking technique. When you are done drying the meat, all you have is dried muscle with the flavor of your marinade. I've always joked that one could make jerky out of roadkill possum or skunk and people would love it because of this fact. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15721
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:58 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Zelph, The meatcutter will slice your roast into 1/8" thin slabs for you--just ask ans ask to see the first slice so you are on the same page as to how thin an 1/8" is. ;) Top Round is a very lean tight grained muscle. Also ask the meatcutter to trim the external fat off.
Yes, marinade does take the wild taste away fron venison as does any "good" cooking technique. When you are done drying the meat, all you have is dried muscle with the flavor of your marinade. I've always joked that one could make jerky out of roadkill possum or skunk and people would love it because of this fact. ;)


Just saw my next meal laying in the middle of the street :D Had opossum, squirrel combo stew several times. Stewing and jerking and sausaging makes all animals taste good ;) My mother tells the story of the town cats disappearing and it was found out that some guy was pawning them off as fresh rabbit :o Recent urban legend has it that dogs are being eaten here in the usa by imigrants from countries that have them in their daily diets. Who woulda thunk it.

Off to the Deli for some top round sliced 1/8 thinnnnnnnnnnnn

My wife said she no longer has the marinating tupperware thingy. She said I had to make do with a ziplock, will that do?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5248
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:18 pm

Gallon Freezer bags should work . Just make sure they are sealed good. Eye of round will work just as well as top round. The bottom round tends to have a little more internal fat towards the rump end but I have used it many times. I have even seamed out and used the main muscle in a beef shoulder(English) Roast. I sell the unused part of the shoulder for stew meat. This is a fringe benefit only the meatcutters can get by with. These cuts are the leanest and most likely to be found on sale for a reasonable price. When we have a hot sale on one of them , I will buy a large roast, slice it into slabs, stack in in a tray and freezer wrap it for later use. ;)
A question off topic ,Zelph. How do you copy and highlight a section of a previous post without just right clicking the copy and paste buttons, which doesn't highlight the text? :?:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby oops56 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:29 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Gallon Freezer bags should work . Just make sure they are sealed good. Eye of round will work just as well as top round. The bottom round tends to have a little more internal fat towards the rump end but I have used it many times. I have even seamed out and used the main muscle in a beef shoulder(English) Roast. I sell the unused part of the shoulder for stew meat. This is a fringe benefit only the meatcutters can get by with. These cuts are the leanest and most likely to be found on sale for a reasonable price. When we have a hot sale on one of them , I will buy a large roast, slice it into slabs, stack in in a tray and freezer wrap it for later use. ;)
A question off topic ,Zelph. How do you copy and highlight a section of a previous post without just right clicking the copy and paste buttons, which doesn't highlight the text? :?:


I just did it here just click quote up in right hand corner say what you need to say under it
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5248
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:42 pm

oops56 wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:Gallon Freezer bags should work . Just make sure they are sealed good. Eye of round will work just as well as top round. The bottom round tends to have a little more internal fat towards the rump end but I have used it many times. I have even seamed out and used the main muscle in a beef shoulder(English) Roast. I sell the unused part of the shoulder for stew meat. This is a fringe benefit only the meatcutters can get by with. These cuts are the leanest and most likely to be found on sale for a reasonable price. When we have a hot sale on one of them , I will buy a large roast, slice it into slabs, stack in in a tray and freezer wrap it for later use. ;)
A question off topic ,Zelph. How do you copy and highlight a section of a previous post without just right clicking the copy and paste buttons, which doesn't highlight the text? :?:


I just did it here just click quote up in right hand corner say what you need to say under it



See if this works, if so, thanks Oops! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15721
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:35 pm

All they had was bottom roasts. The meatcutter sliced it for me and said it started to curl over at the last 3 inches of the piece and then proceeded to cut the remainder by hand :)

I click on "quote" like oops suggested. Highlight what I don't want and clik "delete"
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15721
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:49 pm

Plan A for beef jerky went right by me. Playin with stoves will do that. I forgot all about the meat marinating in the fridge :oops:

Plan B went into effect!!! I boiled the strips or should I say I braised them? There was diddly sqwat fat that came off. The boiling process was a test to see if the process would make it melt in my mouth the longer it boiled. I consumed 1/2 the strips in the process of testing. :D some photos:

Image

Image

Image
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5248
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:34 am

Plan A for beef jerky went right by me. Playin with stoves will do that. I forgot all about the meat marinating in the fridge


Could have stuck with plan A. I have let it soak 5 or 6 days----plenty of preservatives. Results were great.

How was it boiled? Seem like that would take alot of the flavor of the marinade out of the meat? Still looks tasty though----must be time to put the feed sack on! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15721
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:25 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Plan A for beef jerky went right by me. Playin with stoves will do that. I forgot all about the meat marinating in the fridge



Could have stuck with plan A. I have let it soak 5 or 6 days----plenty of preservatives. Results were great.

How was it boiled? Seem like that would take alot of the flavor of the marinade out of the meat? Still looks tasty though----must be time to put the feed sack on! :lol:


I was just being cautious :) I boiled it in the marinade + water equal to the volume of the meat. It tastes great!!! I would expect it tastes like rehydrated jerky using min. amount of water to rehydrate. The marinade gives it the color of roast beef, a nice brown color.


Got a call from my soninlaw last night. he's bringing me a side of venison this afternoon. Going to marinade and cook it as I did the beef to see what the tase results are. :D going to jerky it also. And give half to my son and then slice and freeze the rest. Goin to use the little Reynolds Handi-vac vacuum sealer with their vacuum freezer bags. Another kitchen gadget to play with.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15721
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:50 pm

Big difference between meatcutters and butchers. I'm a butcher :D

I got the job done though!!!! Now I can create new forms of Jerky. Marinate, marinate+boil in marinate eat hot venison sandwhiches, boil in marinate and then dehydrate :)

Image
Image Looks like the Starlyte flame is going backwards into the burner :)
Image
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/


Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest