Cause you know you all crave it :D :o :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvXv4mKw2g
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

Ridgerunner

Re: Spam-Tastic Lo Mein

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:40 pm

Two thumbs up, Sabar. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

hoz

Postby hoz » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:11 am

I do much the same thing but use "Bihon Pancit" noodles. (White in the pak, but clear or translucent after cooking.) They are made of rice flour and to me taste better than the wheat.

Can also be added to chicken or fish stock with dehydrated veggies and a little soy sauce for a quick tasty soup.

Another noodle to try is "Saifun" or "Bean Threads". In fact, one brand is sold in several very small bundles suitable for one or two people.

People make fun of Spam, but it kept the wolf from the door in England during WWII. It has been elevated to Haute Cusine among Pacific Islanders. I like mine sliced very thin, and then fried until the edges are burnt and crispy. We often make a meal at home from fried Spam, tomatoes and rice.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:49 am

I like mine sliced very thin, and then fried until the edges are burnt and crispy.

I've eaten the slice cold right out of the package. Edible but prefer it much more the way you mention. ;) MUCH MUCH more!!! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sarbar

Postby sarbar » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:27 pm

hoz points out some great noodles. I'll admit that in the video I actually used Chuka Soba noodles due to being out of ramen ;) But knowing that most people don't know what c.s. is I just called it ramen. I like that they are not fried beforehand.

Bean threads are great too! For a couple years I worked for a Thai importer so got to have on hand many a noodle that was hard to get otherwise! A great bennie of the job!

What I like also are Pancit Canton noodles - they are wheat based and have a chow mein flavor. Philippines I am thinking is where they come from. Good stuff!

Of course lets point out that I got two bites. So did the other two adults. Then Ford sat there and hoovered the whole pan down. Sigh!

hoz

Postby hoz » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Thx Sarbar,

I'm Fil/Am (Filipino/Kentuckian) and am married to a F/B Filipina. We eat Pancit all the time, when not eating rice!!! In fact, I have become a pretty good Filipino cook since the kids left.

In Pancit, we call the thin rice noodles Bihon and the thicker wheat noodles Canton. I like both, just Bihon better. BTW, I'm sure you know you can deep fry Bihon and make "crunchy noodles". Not too good for the trail, but nice at home.
Last edited by hoz on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoz

Postby hoz » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:38 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I've eaten the slice cold right out of the package.

Um, um,umn, desperate times, desperate measures.

sarbar

Postby sarbar » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:15 pm

hoz...I may pick your brain more! I am part Filipino myself (on my dad's side....Norwegian/Filipino).I didn't grow up eating their food though and have come more interested in what is what. That is cool to know the part about "Canton". Neat!
I am grateful though that our mega Asia marts out here in Seattle carry food from all countries so I can get pretty much anything.

Do you have any cookbooks you might recommend? If you do let me know....I'd like to be able to make something beyond Lumpia :P

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:34 pm

Nice video Sarbar,
I especially like how it is filmed on the trail and is truly a practical meal for backpacking. A warm pot of noodles would be very comforting at the end of a cool wet fall hike.
Thanks for sharing.

hoz

Postby hoz » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:06 pm

sarbar wrote:hoz...I may pick your brain more! I am part Filipino myself (on my dad's side....Norwegian/Filipino).
Do you have any cookbooks you might recommend? If you do let me know....I'd like to be able to make something beyond Lumpia :P

Not sure about Seattle, but I hear Vancouver is FULL of Filipinos!!!

Beyond Pancit I cook a mean Adobo (chicken or pork), Pinakbet (Ampalya with garlic, pork and mixed veggies. Don't forget the Bagoong!). And I even do a beef or pork soup with mixed greens that my wife says is pretty authentic. It's a like Vietnamese Pho. But my favorite is Kare Kare, a savory ambrosia of ox tails, green beans, eggplant and bok choy in a peanut butter sauce. ManOman THAT"S masarap!

I don't work from a cookbook but the net is full of recipes. There is a site called Manong Kens Carenderia that features many Filipino dishes. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Filipino/Norweigan? That's a mix!

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”