Pots

Discuss commercially made camp kitchen items.
irrationalsolutions

Pots

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:11 pm

If there is a current thread for this I didn't see it so sorry.

So, what is everyone using for pots these days. This seems to be a hit and miss topic. Right now I'm use one of two times pots/mugs. One is a backcountry 500 or 550 the other is a snowpack. I also use a Imusa painted black I think it's a 10 but not really sure anymore and I use a pathfinder bush pot with the "stove". It's not bad. It allows for larger amounts of water or larger meals. The "stove" is just a sleeve that fits around it you turn upside down and put coals or a small fire under. It serves its purpose well enough. I do have another cook set I use a lot but it's not light weight at all. I'll detail it later I need to pull it out to make sure I get all the components correct.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Re: Pots

Postby zelph » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:56 pm

This forum is good for pots :D

I'm playing around with titanium pots and a new pot support windscreen combination. It will function like a Caldera Cone but without the wider bottom. I'm using a Toaks 650 pot with handles and Toaks titanium pot supports for their wood stoves. One set of supports raises the titanium pot support off the ground to allow for air to enter under the stack of wood, the other set is used to support the pot.

The photo shows the difference in the straight wall stove and TD Caldera Cone. The straight wall fits inside the pot in a vertical position and the Calder Cone has to store in the horizontal. The stove kit is a 3 fuel system, alcohol and esbit and my favorite "wood" :D the straight wall support kind of disappears inside the pot against the pot wall.
Attachments
toaks550nirvana 001.JPG
toaks550nirvana 003.JPG
toaks for wood.JPG
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:32 am

I have found I the years since I have been on that I like the wood option that can use an alcohol stove as a back up or the reverse. I'm not big on esbit or sterno.

So is that a two part stove? The straight and the cone used together?

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:08 am

It's a one part stove/windscreen. The photo was to show the difference compared to a Caldera Cone. With a short pot, a cone(wide base) is not needed unless I get really clumsy ;) and have a tendency to knock over things.

The pot support grabs onto 1" of the bottom of the pot and makes it firmly secure. Hot air rising up the sides of the pot is sufficient to prevent heat loss out of the pot sides.

I'm not big on esbit because of the smell but recent testing shows it has a certain quality about it that makes for a good fuel. It's as if it produces it's own oxygen in a confined space and has a steady rate of burn. It works well in the straight wall pot support/windscreen. The use of wood blackens the pot bottom and when esbit is used just adds more black to the pot :mrgreen: They were meant for each other :lol:

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:32 pm

I'm trying my hand at the compact wood stove again. I've never liked how tall it is but I'm still going to give it another go. The Imusa pot I use holds the whole stove and the lid closes perfect. I really want to get out to the river soon and play around with that some more.

As far as testing goes I've figured out the best way to get real world conditions at home. Wait for a really bad thunderstorm and go test in the backyard lol. I always seem to end up in the worst weather anyway when I take a new piece of gear out anyway.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:24 pm

the pot I'm working with is a titanium toaks 600 with the long handles. I hope to be able to use wood and not get the handle to hot if I concentrate on getting a good top down burn on a load of twigs. Long ago I did a test with 2 stoves using 2 ounces of wood. A bushbuddy and one made by fourdogstove. It was easy to get 2 cups to boil with that small amount of wood.

If I go inexpensive I will use my Imusa 12 cm mug.

Once I get my yard sale outta the way, I'm gone fishin/camping and wood burning is number one priority. :D

Return to “Stoves, Cooksets and All Things Cooking”