Outback Oven

Discuss commercially made camp kitchen items.
Ridgerunner

Outback Oven

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu May 01, 2014 6:45 am

I recently acquired a used outback oven and decided to take it with me on our trip to the old family cabin in Michigan. Since we have been blessed with so much rain, it gave me an opportunity to test it out. Other than a possible faulty temperature gauge, it worked quite well. It is a little heavier and bulkier than my DIY Optimus oven. It does allow for baking a larger amount than the Optimus oven. Further testing will be needed :D to determine if this is something I will add to my base camp gear or not. I'm thinking that there are more baking options than in the bunt pan of the DIY Optimus oven such as pizza.
ImageImageImage
Chocolate brownies :dinner:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: Outback Oven

Postby zelph » Fri May 02, 2014 8:37 pm

What is the diameter of the oven? Looks like it should work well.

I got a lid for my wife :lol: My wife likes to use her cast iron pots for cooking so I got here one of these lids:

http://beprepared.com/lid-for-volcano-i ... MgodUB4Afw

The lid sure works well for dutch oven cooking.

She also has the Volcano Stove that I got her for her birthday.... ;) Nice guy Dan :mrgreen:

Hey, I gotta try baking in my new found egg poaching pan...holds 3 eggs. I use it in conjunction with the 2 cup capacity Imusa Mug. I've been using it to cook eggs for breakfast.

RR, did you use a box mix and what brand?

I think all new fiberglass products will stink when high heated. gotta have some kind of coating to make them look good and seal the tiny lose fibers. The fabric sure is heavy grade stuff.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 03, 2014 9:50 am

The oven pan is about 10" diameter and the mix was an OLD Jiffy in a box. It was outdated and tasted so but everything is good at the cabin :lol: I will have to do more testing once I get caught up with all the yard work that awaits me :o
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 04, 2014 9:21 am

After finding the instructions online for the Outback Oven, I realized that my temperature gauge probably works fine as I had it set up wrong. The top of the reflector cover should pyramid up like a volcano with the thermometer below the hole. I bought a few more mixes to do some more testing :hungry:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 04, 2014 9:47 am

Huh!!! Instructions....what's that :mrgreen:

Hey, you can never have too many cakes and muffins :D Have a good baking session today!! I think I'll do one or two with my small pans and 10cm Imusa Mug. I also have stainless steel mugs that the pans fit onto. I'll give those a whirl also. A good day for baking :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 04, 2014 6:04 pm

Somewhere I have one of those unused ovens also... :roll: I had some bag/tent buyers come by today and we started looking at stoves( :shock: ) and talking about baking goodies on the trails..been quite a while for me. :dinner:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Stoves, Cooksets and All Things Cooking”