light weight thermos

Discuss commercially made camp kitchen items.
shakeylegs

light weight thermos

Postby shakeylegs » Tue May 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi all,
Has anyone come across a serviceable light weight thermos suitable for light weight backpacking? Even the small plastic ones I've seen are relatively heavy. Guess I might have to give up on "off the shelf" and fashion something "DIY". Perhaps a light plastic container + insulated cozy or just an insulated envelope to house a freezer bag and its rehydrating contents.
Shakeylegs

Ridgerunner

Re: light weight thermos

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 am

I'm not sure of your intent for the lightweight thermos. Is it to carry a beverage or to insulate a freeze bag meal? I use the zip-loc storage containers for my mess kit and have fashioned a neoprene cozy for cold weather application. I'll look for a link for you.
Here we go, it was under skidsters kitchen thread

This is an easy project to give you that extra thermal cooking time when freezerbag cooking using Skids nicely designed storage container. I has simply taken the cozy off a thrift store purchased water bottle and another pop can cozy to cut to size and wrap and gorilla glue, where necessary, the Zip-loc containers to come up with the following:
DSCF2298.JPG

ImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed May 29, 2013 1:45 pm

If you are looking for a lightweight thermos bottle, I picked this NRA bottle up at a yard sale for a quarter ;) It has a camo neoprene sleeve around a plastic bottle.
ImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 pm

I choose meals that rehydrate within 5 min. No insulating necessary. 180-190 degree water sitting in a freezer bag for 5 min will drop down to 150 degrees which is almost too hot to eat right away, have to blow on it a bit before scoffing it down. I eat fast :mrgreen: then sit back with a warm drink and watch the camp fire.

Check the "baby" dept at Kmart and Walmart for insulated containers. At one time they had containers that had insulated DC electric heating wires in the bag that surrounded the container. Look for that also.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

shakeylegs

Postby shakeylegs » Thu May 30, 2013 4:42 am

thank you both for your thoughts. I enjoy cooking and even when moving ultralight I like to indulge my gourmet side. I use thermos containers for both FB style cooking and keeping things warm. I also like to pack in frozen food items and try to keep them for as long as possible. The lightest cheapest thermos containers i've seen cannot beat a thermal envelope and freezer bag. I'm thinking about using super light plastic containers of the tupper kind and fashioning insulators for them. Aluminized bubble insulation and thinsulate/silnylon would do the job. Also, today at the supermarket I saw some large "pool noodles" fashioned out of some lite expanded plastic - very lite weight hollow tubes, 1"thick walls, 6" diameter and 6' long. A segment of this stuff would slip nicely over various round containers and water bottles.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 30, 2013 2:09 pm

You are on the verge of a good project. :D There are quite a few online videos that show the DIY version using the aluminized bubble product. I opened up a box that had a new printer cartridge wrapped in a air filled protective gizmo that looked like a ready made pot insulator. If careful, the cartridge can be removed without bursting the columns of air. I did it a year or two ago :D Easy peasy way to get a tall thermos insulator :o

cartridge protector:
Attachments
shakeyleg insulator.jpg

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:39 am

I pick up the foam/foil windshield covers(to put over windshields to keep snow/ice off) from thrift stores for use for cozies for about $.50 to $1 each or even less(garage sales 10c to 25!)..Use as many layers as you need along with some good lightweight tape..over any shape of container that works for what you need to carry... or make/sew/tape bags and sew on some velcro closures..or even longer bags with roll up closures with string for more insulation layers)..They weigh next to nothing,cut easy with scissors,insulate well..easy to work with,as long as you can work with about 18" wide X 6' pieces.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:14 pm

realityguy wrote:I pick up the foam/foil windshield covers(to put over windshields to keep snow/ice off) from thrift stores for use for cozies for about $.50 to $1 each or even less(garage sales 10c to 25!)..Use as many layers as you need along with some good lightweight tape..over any shape of container that works for what you need to carry... or make/sew/tape bags and sew on some velcro closures..or even longer bags with roll up closures with string for more insulation layers)..They weigh next to nothing,cut easy with scissors,insulate well..easy to work with,as long as you can work with about 18" wide X 6' pieces.

Millions of windsheild covers have been converted/recycled into pot cozzies.....whoda known it could happen :o

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Millions of windsheild covers have been converted/recycled into pot cozzies.....whoda known it could happen

Same thing can be said about beer bottle, pop can, and other food can stoves :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:48 pm

We all have had a creative interest in making life easier and lighter while enjoying a warm/hot meal.

Yesterday I bought a walmart insulated shopping bag so I could put 2 small bags of ice cubes in it along with my six pack of pop bottles. It kept the pop ice cold for 2 days. No need for a bulky stryrofoam cooler. I still have it in my trunk on top of winter "shoe tray" to collect melting water. When all the ice has melted just fold the bag up and lay flat. It was a spur of the moment idea while shopping for some paper towels. It's a lightweight thermal barrier for ice 8-)

Return to “Stoves, Cooksets and All Things Cooking”