Bushcooker LT 2 technique questions

Discuss commercially made camp kitchen items.
pbft

Bushcooker LT 2 technique questions

Postby pbft » Wed May 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Picked up a Bushcooker LT 2 at a swap sale, just out of curiosity. Works great, and then it doesn't. Here's my experience:

I can get a good fire going with no problem, but after 5 or 10 minutes, it seems to die down even though it still has fuel. Seems to be a layer of coals on the bottom, a layer of non-burning charcoal next, and then a layer of (recently added) fuel that just smolders. At this point, there's not enough heat rising from the bottom to ignite the woodgas, so it just smokes.

Once it reaches this point I can't get useful heat out of it, although dumping it out on the ground creates an immediate fire :-(

Runs long enough to boil a couple of cups of water maybe, but not to cook dinner.

Lifting it and looking at the bottom, it appears that fine white ash has restricted airflow through the 'fan' slots in the bottom. Perhaps the coals are not getting enough air?

Any relevant experience, ideas, or group wisdom?

zelph

Re: Bushcooker LT 2 technique questions

Postby zelph » Wed May 15, 2013 10:46 pm

It's meant to be a one load of wood stove to boil 2 cups of water. Stack the wood vertical and top lite. I have a video comparison here somewhere. I'll be back when I find it.

This is of the LT1:

posting.php?mode=edit&f=49&p=38316
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

pbft

Postby pbft » Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 am

That makes sense. It works really well at first - I can see it boiling two cups of water. May not work as well for me. My usual pattern:
  • Boil water for coffee
  • Drink coffee and cook breakfast
  • Heat water for washing dishes
Seems like that would need three separate fires. I like playing with fire, but not quite that much.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 16, 2013 8:08 am

Quart size cans make good 4 cup water heaters.

6 cup Kelly Kettles are my friend :mrgreen: One little basket of wood gets the 6 cup to boiling plus I can cook at the same time on the flames coming out the top. Now that's being efficient. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Stoves, Cooksets and All Things Cooking”