Stanley Cookpot

Discuss commercially made camp kitchen items.
Ridgerunner

Stanley Cookpot

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:39 am

I was in Target the other day and ran across this Single walled Cookpot for $15 . It is stainless and the lid locks in place for storing and has straining holes for draining water off your pasta. The insulated cups are a bit heavy and it is far from being UL but for the price it is indestructible.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: Stanley Cookpot

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:03 am

That's the way to start out.....rugged. will last a lifetime. Made me think of the rugged aluminum pot with locking lid that is made as a baking continer for crock pots. It's my favorite thrift store find. I buy one every time I see one in a thrift store :roll: I have 3....why do I do that??? I only pay 2-3 bucks for them. Anodized and rugged with locking and vented lid for straining if needed. No handle necessary, it can be lifted easily and securley by the knob on top. The pot was made to be lifted out of a crock pot so the knob is totally robust.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

shingaling

Postby shingaling » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:56 am

A GSI Glacier stainless cup fits on the bottom, and a Nalgene 32 oz HDPE water bottle (not the hard Tritan ones) will fit inside. Then it all tucks nicely into a 10 x 4 molle water bottle pouch.

I've seen pics where people set it in the fire and the green tab on the lid burns off right away, so if you're going to go that route, swap it out for a split key ring.

The lid fits on the small pot & lid from the Coleman Max set.

Might have to make a caldera clone for this one - it's bound to be tippy.
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:10 am

I've seen pics where people set it in the fire and the green tab on the lid burns off right away, so if you're going to go that route, swap it out for a split key ring.

The key ring idea sounds great. Put it only half way through it's coil and it may stay standing straight up to keep it cool and yet lay horizontal for storage(under a little pressure)

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:52 am

Ridgerunner wrote:I was in Target the other day and ran across this Single walled Cookpot for $15 . It is stainless and the lid locks in place for storing and has straining holes for draining water off your pasta. The insulated cups are a bit heavy and it is far from being UL but for the price it is indestructible.

Perfect for car campers, kayakers etc.

I have to get a few of those for my kids. They will love it. thx rr
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:06 am

What capacity is the pot, looks like 3 cup?

Scouts need to have a set-up like that.....rugged ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:06 pm

zelph wrote:What capacity is the pot, looks like 3 cup?

Scouts need to have a set-up like that.....rugged ;)

24oz.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Thanks RR. Is that lid handle half round?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 pm

zelph wrote:Thanks RR. Is that lid handle half round?

What do you mean by half round? It is rectangular. It lays down flat on the lid for storage. It is slightly larger than most silicon lid tabs out there. The unit would make a nice piece of kit for base camp, canoe/kayak trip, or thrown in the trunk of your vehicle for emergency use without having to worry about it getting damaged from other things rolling around in the trunk. OK, so my trunk is full of gear and yard sale treasures :oops: :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:32 pm

What do you mean by half round? It is rectangular

Thank you!!! :D I have lots of .250 silicone sheet. Will try to make some lid lifters that are rectangular. :idea:

Return to “Stoves, Cooksets and All Things Cooking”