Coffee

Discuss commercially made camp kitchen items.
ConnieD

Coffee

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:03 pm

We haven't had a coffee discussion in awhile.

There was Home "Brew" Percalator viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5001&p=38821&hilit=coffee#p38821
and Off-topic Lightweight Expressio Machine viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5033&hilit=expresso

Both classics.

We have all tried Starbuck's VIA packets, right? I have: Medium Columbia, Mocha.

Okay, but not great.

I want to share NESCAFÉ Clásico.

The coffee snobs will need to hold back their contempt.

I found that having fresh spring water just reach a full boil - big bubbles - and not later, and, quickly, add three 1/4 teaspons in one 8 oz cup, the resulting coffee is more than drinkable. It actually makes what passes for a crema, just like served at the best coffee houses.

I admit it, this is my morning coffee with Coffee-Mate Cafe latte.

I am not even backpacking!

I can do this backpacking with an alcohol stove that will produce a roiling boil.

Now, if Minimus http://www.minimus.biz/Creamers-Sweeteners.aspx would just get Caffe Latte individual serving size creamers.

FYI: I frequent coffee houses, in the city. When I am not in the city, this is passable good coffee.
Last edited by ConnieD on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sudden

Re: Coffee

Postby sudden » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:57 pm

No such thing as a coffee snob in the woods. Everything just tastes better in the woods. What makes that coffee better than the others you listed?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:03 pm

I really do not like Starbucks coffee, because they "go for" the dark roast flavor in every coffee.

I have never, previously, liked any freeze-dry coffee.

I did have a friend tell me he puts an ice cube in his freeze-dry coffee to smooth out the Folger's freeze-dried coffee grittiness. I had to agree, it was improved to my taste. However, Folger's coffees all have more acidity than I favor.

The NESCAFÉ Clásico does not have the acidity. I like that.

I can have as much coffee as I like; it doesn't hurt my stomach after awhile.

The other thing is this crema. It is what I really like about coffee-house coffee.

Maybe another brand freeze-dry coffee would have a crema?

I know the temperature is critical, not less - not more.

I know fresh (non-chlorinated) water is critical. I use authentic bottled spring water.

I have been looking for really good coffee for backpacking. If I could just have the Caffe Latte or Belgium Chocolate Toffee flavored Coffee Mate in individual serving sizes, that would be excellent. Bailey's Original Irish Cream Coffee Creamer is really good with the NESCAFÉ Clásico.

Maybe I could find containers for the "creamers" that would not leak?

I find this coffee at Albertson's.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:35 pm

I'll never understand all the fuss about coffee. As long as it's not too weak or too strong, I'm not too picky. :lol: For those that have to have their favorite ground, why not just buy the empty fillable tea bags and use their favorite grind?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:37 pm

too weak or too strong

I have seen those empty bags offered for sale.

Have you used them?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:18 pm

I have a box somewhere in the barn but have never used them. I have no problem using the Folgers or Kroger bags and even the Taster's Choice freeze dried packets are suitable to my palate. ;) I am not a big coffee drinker. I like a cup or two in the morning and then I am done with it for the day unless I am having a piece of homemade sugar cream pie that is so rich that a cup of joe helps to balance the tastebuds :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:49 pm

I have been looking for really good coffee for backpacking. If I could just have the Caffe Latte or Belgium Chocolate Toffee flavored Coffee Mate in individual serving sizes, that would be excellent. Bailey's Original Irish Cream Coffee Creamer is really good with the NESCAFÉ Clásico.

Maybe I could find containers for the "creamers" that would not leak?

Well..you know me..yeah..i'm spoiled..I use my coffee presses.. :roll:

On the last trip(new years day beach trip) I used some amaretto coffee syrup mixed in a small foodsaver bag with nonfat dry milk that I could knead to mix before opening for my coffee(foodsaver bagged.. fresh ground Malaysian Tenom coffee beans the night before).. :mrgreen: Make your own individual servings in foodsaver bags!
Of course I didn't try to vacuum pack it ..just sealed it instead.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:16 pm

homemade sugar cream pie

Umm good. Makes me think of Key Lime Pie.

foodsaver bags

I have foodsaver bags.

YES!

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Well..you know me..yeah..i'm spoiled..I use my coffee presses.. :roll:

There are actually more compact coffee presses, again, and other amazing stuff:

http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/coffee.html

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:36 pm

Cowboy coffee was perfected long ago. I think it is still the best compromise. You don't give up good taste and if you're used to a french press you already know that last sip is going to be grainy if you don't stop.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Return to “Stoves, Cooksets and All Things Cooking”