Stove selection

Discuss commercially made camp kitchen items.
Wilk

Stove selection

Postby Wilk » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:06 am

Hellow,
I'm new and it's my first post here :)
This summer I'm planning to go on a hiking trip with a tent for about 7 days of a walk. I was earlier 2 times on such adventure but somebody else was wearing stove (gas one). Now I will be traveling with friends and I'm looking for an adequate stove. I hope it will not convert into the stationary encampment. I'm not sure what will be cooked. I have several questions so I will enumerate them if you don't mind :)

1. What are the advantages that make people wear stoves compared to a campfire?

2. Which type of stove would be better: gas, wood, wood-gas (with alcohol expansion)

3 I have already searched for several and as for now, I'm in favor of wood-based stoves. From some discussions on this and other forums about “Single Wall versus Double Wall Woodburner” I conclude that buying double wall stove may not be the best option, despite single wall protagonist (https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/15999) wrote that if he were to buy a stove he would choose bushbuddy. How that refers to hobostoves?
Have been made any new research that turns the table since then?

4. After some search I'm interested in following models (I'm from EU so I don't have easy access to the USA market):
A Wood stoves (all can use alcohol expect e )
a) Lixida gasifier
lixida_gasifier.jpg

b) Tomshoo 1 (bushbuddy copy)
tomshoo_1.jpg

c) Tomshoo 2/
tomshoo_2.jpg

d) Some other company
stove_1.jpg

e) Kelly kettle hobostove type
Kelly-Kettle-Hobo-Stove-Kit-Small-620x338.jpg

B Some fuel
a) Army model
army_1.jpg

C Gas cheap
a) Cheep gas (heavy)
cheep_gas_1.jpg

b) Cheep gas with grill (heavy)
cheep_gas_2.jpg

c) Hwg Cheep gas (light)
cheep_gashwg_3.jpg

d) Cheep gas 4
cheep_gas_4.jpg

My personal favorite is A.d (like 18$) but I like also A.c and A.a is cheapest (like 13-15$). I haven't seen single wall stoves even on Amazon- are there any professionally produced? I wouldn't like to build one my self- mostly because I think it will be time-consuming and I will end up with something mediocre.

4. Bonus question :) Does make sense to buy a gas adapter or pot with a heatsink?

Sorry for a long post

zelph

Re: Stove selection

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:40 am

Glad you are here :)

I prefer the Lixada if I had to purchase one. I use wood most of the time, single wall stoves are easy to make.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:43 am

No pots with heat exchangers :geek:

Wilk

Postby Wilk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Thank for a fast reply :)
Do you prefer Lixada by design or price? It was my favorite until I found other 2 with grill grid, which I can add on my own to Lixida if I will want it.
Maybe single wall stoves are easy to make but If I were to make 1, I would spend too much time reading about it. And sad but true but after making 1 I would try to make another, better one :). After all, I would eventually want to compare it to a factory made one...
I will be walking in a national park where the use of fire in any of open forms is prohibited so in crowded places can stove will draw attention for sure. Well, gas or bought wood stove too but it will look more convincing. Besides I'm not sure if it's a myth but those double sided stoves are said to be more efficient, burning all the gases so it's easier to clean pot (with wood no need for ones with heat exchangers :D). As it burns a little more, fewer ashes or other substances would eventually land into the frying pan so the healthier the food would be.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Wood fires made with dry hardwood, no bark twigs, stacked in the vertical position and then top lit will give off the least amount of smoke.
Double wall stoves have been proven not to be more efficient.

Lixada was chosen by design of pot support s and then by price.
Take a Lixada and a Companion burner aka Mega Starlyte and use alcohol. Lixada will perform as a windscreen and pot support. Use wood in it when you can.

I think Toaks makes a single wall wood stove.

Wilk

Postby Wilk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 am

Thank for the advice :). I will look for something like Mega Starlyte (shipping can kill me :( ) or buy fire-resistant rope to use it with attached to the stove pot.
I've taken a secound look on toaks stoves- they have double wall in the lower part and single wall in the upper. Besides maybe I should consider spending more money and invest in titanum? Just for reference (if others will read this in 10 years):
toaks 4 1/8" (D) x 8" (H) (105mm x 205mm) (Assembled) 7.9 oz (225g) :
toaks_titanum.jpg

alb 4 7/8'' (D) x 7 3/32'' (H) (124mm x 180mm) (Assembled) 10.23oz (290g):
alb_titanum.jpg

Same about titanium pots (they tend to have hotspots)- I have old aluminum ones which are now said to react with food :/ Spending a bit more on hiking gear/holidays is not a big problem... it's quite a cheap holiday option anyway :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:27 pm

Use only the upper section of the Toaks wood stove, don't create a double wall. One load of wood should boil 500ml of water. Be creative :)

Double walls are obsolete :)

Cost for shipping 3 mega Starlyte $14.00

Wilk

Postby Wilk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Thank You but buying the whole stove just to use half of it makes no sense :shock:. Besides I've just read that titanium stoves oxidize fast during intense cooking so problem solved: Lixida type stove :)
Maybe (rather no :P) I will buy gas cartridge to her stove- I think wearing a woodstove is enough and I think I will pass on mega Starlyte so others can also do something :)
Once again Thank You very very much for advice and help

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:37 pm

Glad to have been able to share a few small ideas. Don't start making stoves, bad for your health ;) it's addictive!

Return to “Stoves, Cooksets and All Things Cooking”